The main building of Stadium High School was constructed by architects Hewitt and Hewitt for the Northern Pacific Railroad Company and the Tacoma Land Company in 1891 with the intention of building a luxury hotel resembling a French chateau. The Panic of 1893 however, brought construction to an abrupt halt when the Northern Pacific was faced with financial disaster. The unfinished building was purchased by the Tacoma School District in 1904. The reconstructed building opened September 10, 1906 as Tacoma High School. Seven years later, the name was changed to reference the adjacent Stadium Bowl.
The stadium, also designed by Frederick Heath, dates from 1910 and it originally offered a seating capacity of 32,000. Among those who spoke there were Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, Warren G. Harding, William Jennings Bryan, and Billy Sunday.
Category: Yodio Tours
Located in 111 North E Street Tacoma